Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Tricky Treats

Every time I set foot in Marshall Hall, I can't help but survey the tables on either end of the foyer to scope any clubs or campus organizations trying to raise money. Bake sales seem to be the most popular fund raising technique, and they work like a charm, at least on me. The other morning I was entering the building with a friend as we gabbed about our weekend ventures. Mid sentence I veered off both in thought and movement, eyes fixed to the table covered in plates of brownies, cookies and fresh baked sweet breads.

My wallet emerged as pupils dilated and I honed in on a plate of brownies that appeared to be topped with a smothering of peanut butter. Handing over a dollar bill, I selected a brownie heavy on the peanut butter and walked away grinning. Once I found my seat in class, I took a sweet bite of the brownie and cringed as a crunchy edge broke away in my mouth. Not as chewy as I'd hoped, I was also surprised to discover what I thought was peanut butter was actually cookie dough. Fine. I'll take a crunchy brownie any day if it is adorned cookie dough instead of peanut butter. Two treats for the price of one.

Cookie brownie
Later that day I walked with another friend to a coffee shop to catch up on homework. The place only takes cash and I had to spot my friend who forgot this small detail. After ordering our drinks I pulled out my wallet to pay, realizing I was a dollar short. Had I not purchased my brownie treat earlier in the day this mini crisis would have been avoided. Luckily, the barista graciously covered my missing dollar. Funny how the world works sometimes.

Hot chocolate with a heart

No comments:

Post a Comment