Monday, May 7, 2012

Tea Time

As a budding tea enthusiast, I love trying different types of tea to see what I like. A hot cup of tea is my go to treat when I don't want to indulge in a late night snack but need something to keep me going on late nights of studying. Loose tea is great because you can find some unique blends at specialty shops that can't be found in a run of the mill grocery store. Loose tea also produces less waste without the disposable teabag

On a trip to Colorado back in December, I happened upon a spice shop in Breckenridge, and couldn't help but treat myself to some new herbal blends. There are a few things that I never feel guilty about spending money on, and tea is one of those purchases. With flavors like Bombay Chai and Chocolate Mint Truffle, I flitted around the shop grabbing products off the shelves faster than I could add up the prices.

I was making my final selections when I saw something else that caught my eye. Walking over to the back wall of the shop, I picked up a small plastic ziploc bag with a single red jasmine tea bud inside. I had remembered a scene from Marie Antoinette when she had prepared a cup of this very same tea. Elated to try it on my own, I added this single bud to my handful of purchases and headed to the register before I could pick up anything else.

This single bud has been sitting in my cupboard waiting to be brewed, and the other day I decided it was time to to test it out. It came with no special instructions, so I plopped it in a piping mug of hot water and waited to witness the magic. After several minutes the bud barely blossomed, leaving me rather disappointed. The flavor, however, was subtle, but magnificent. Maybe my blossom didn't unfold as perfectly as in the movie, but my delicious cup of tea was totally worth the build up.




No comments:

Post a Comment