Thursday, May 23, 2013

Butterfly Garden Song

I wrote this short poem for my Survey of Environmental Writing class this past spring semester. It is inspired by the beautiful floral displays blooming throughout Highland Park in Rochester, New York in spring:

Butterfly Garden Song

The rhythm of the garden endlessly pulses as I walk
barefoot between lilac bushed of humble heliotrope
and bold byzantium. Gazing at grey clouds
and the deep sea of Kentucky bluegrass,
both are shifting in time with the billowing breeze.
Soft winds propel my tiny winged friends,
a sweet symphony echoing quietly as the monarch butterflies
silently beat their wings to a secret song,
sucking sweet nectar from petite purple flowers.
Occasionally one will dance across my cheeks,
greeting my fluttering eyelids as if they were old friends.

http://ingridcreates.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/F-11-11lilacs2.jpg
The lighter purple shade is heliotrope and the darker shade is byzantium

Photo cred
Monarchs really do feed on lilac nectar!



No comments:

Post a Comment