Monday, November 26, 2012

Holiday Tune Up

Right before bed last night I  updated my iPod so I could enjoy a nice festive walk to school this morning. Everyone has their favorite holiday tunes. I usually prefer more upbeat tunes, but steer clear of those cheesy, overdone versions of classics that play on the radio way too often. I don't want to hear Mariah Carey belting what she wants for Christmas, or hear Sarah McLachlan serenade me with her rendition of Silent Night. Both of these ladies are perfectly talented singers, but their voices are not the ones that get me in the true Christmas spirit. When it comes to holiday music, I'm a little more old fashioned. There are a few albums that have remained staples in my holiday music collection, and it is too hard to pick favorites.

For as long as I can remember, the Mannheim Steamroller album, Christmas, has been a mainstay in my family. This album was released in 1984, and I love it dearly. Several of the songs sound like pieces that might be performed at a renaissance festival, and I adore that quality about them. In my mind, a song that can cause a desire to get dressed up in an extravagant gown and promenade around a ballroom has done its job of inspiring Christmas spirit.

Vince Guaraldi Trio's A Charlie Brown Christmas makes me smile just thinking about it. I have played this album on repeat countless times while studying for finals in the cold days of December leading up to winter break.

An album that many may not know, Heartfelt Holidays, is an album that my mother purchased at a Bath & Body Works many moons ago. It is a compilation of some of the very best Christmas songs out there. The Beach Boys performing Little Saint Nick, Eartha Kitt's rendition of Santa Baby, and Judy Garland's version of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas are all on included.

I have a soft spot for Harry Conick Jr. He has a nice voice and I think he uses it well. He doesn't try to sound like a pop star, he's more of a crooner, and I enjoy that. Harry for the Holidays is a cheesy album title, but I still dig the music. Michael Buble also has a fabulous voice that is a treat to hear, especially around the holidays.

Who could forget the King! The Elvis Presley album entitled Its Christmas Time, leaves little room for misinterpretation. You can never go wrong with a little Elvis.

With all of these holiday favorites now added to my iPod, it's going to be a very jolly walk to school. Especially with the snow sprinkling so elegantly down around me.

[http://www.shakyplanet.com/blog/wp-content/
uploads/2011/11/peanuts_christmas1.jpg]

No comments:

Post a Comment