Friday, January 4, 2013

I Meant to Do My Work Today

I recently read a short poem tacked to a refrigerator. It was composed by English author Richard LeGallienne. His words spoke to me in a way that poetry rarely does. I admire the art of poetry, but perhaps I am just very particular about the brand of poetry that can truly pluck at my inner heartstrings. Few poems have moved me or delighted me in the way that LeGallienne's short work did for me today. Perhaps a sense of familiarity and ability to relate to the words in a poem are what allow me to truly enjoy a poem. Without further adieu, here is the piece, retyped for your hopeful enjoyment:

"I meant to do my work today
But a brown bird sang in the apple tree,
And a butterfly flitted across the field
And all the leaves were calling me.
And the wind went sighing over the land,
Tossing the grasses to and fro,
And a rainbow held out its shining hand-
So what could I do but laugh and go?"

I love the simplicity and elegance of this writing. This free-loving, nature-embracing mentality is an outlook that I am constantly trying to resist as piles of school work call my name on a beautiful sunny day.

In case you needed a little extra inspiration
[http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000pOsuZH6z4wM/s/860/860/Millmerran-greenfield.jpg]

No comments:

Post a Comment