Friday, January 4, 2013

Mocha Merriment

Ahh Java’s, my cozy carpeted café of satisfaction and serenity. Stepping through the small glass vestibule and carefully stepping down the sloped entryway, my ears immediately filled with the sounds of orders being placed and milk being steamed. Whether greeted by a barista donning a knit cap or a pair of dark, plastic framed glasses, I am always served quickly and made to feel quite welcome.


I’ve tested many beverages over the years, having supported this coffee joint for quite some time. There is one hot beverage I always come back to: the Aztec Mocha. A rich chocolaty broth of espresso, dark chocolate, cinnamon and chilies fills a mug large enough to handle a hearty helping of soup. I love ordering this chocolaty delight not only for its decadence, but also because I love to watch as it is prepared. The process really isn't that captivating, but I still get a small sense of satisfaction from observing. The chili placed on top as a garnish comes from an ordinary Tupperware container. I still relish the sight of my barista gingerly plucking a chili out of the container and gently placing it atop the writhing mixture of freshly steamed cocoa. I have never seen someone else order this beverage, but I almost always catch an envious glance or two from people who see what's in my mug. The chili on top adds a sense of mystery and sophistication to a typical mocha beverage. I also feel a true sense of conviction in walking straight up to the counter, looking the barista straight in the eye, and ordering my beverage without so much as glance down at the menu.


Not only does this joint serve an array of delightful drinks, but the fascinating art covering the walls is a stand alone reason to venture into this inviting coffee shop. Signed band posters including a few from the Rolling Stones, a paper mache shark hanging from the ceiling, and various other portraits and paintings keep the eyes busy as coffee drinkers and cookie connoisseurs drink and munch to their taste bud's delight. I was even rather fond of the Rhinoceros head jutting out of the wall above me as I sipped my Aztec mocha this afternoon.


Don't you just want to get your hands on one of these?

So rich and delicious

A view from my seat facing the counter. Note the
glass vestibule through which patrons enter and exit.

My new rhino guardian

A view from across the street
[http://www.javascafe.com/pages/catering.html]

A vibrant poster nailed outside
this fine establishment

No comments:

Post a Comment