Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Incredible Italian

There is Italian food, and then there is great Italian food. I first visited Perlo's the other evening, and now I wish I could go back there for dinner every night. Seated around a large, circular table in the corner of the dining room, conversation flowed as appetizer plates were passed around and family members recalled old and faded memories. We were all gathered to honor my Papa after paying our respects at his funeral earlier that evening.

Between the artichokes french, Italian garbage plate, antipasto, and fried calamari appetizers, I couldn't decide which my Papa would have liked the best. Just to clarify, the Italian garbage plate is inspired by the infamous Rochester garbage plate which features some type of meat, usually hot dog or hamburger, home fries, macaroni salad, and all topped with mustard, onions and hot sauce if you're a true garbage plate eater. Perlo's version is also decadent, but a little more refined. Their version includes garlic, onion, bell peppers, cannellini beans, Italian sausage, olives, and parmesan cheese, all sauteed and tossed with a heap of tender escarole.

For dinner I ordered the fig and arugula pizza, and it may very well have been the best pizza I have ever sunk my teeth into. This pizza was grilled and topped with gruyere and gorgonzola cheese, prosciutto, arugula and dried fig slices. Drizzled with an elegant zig zag of olive oil, it was as beautiful as it was delicious. I was so full from the bountiful appetizers, and was able to save some of my pizza left overs for another time. I waited to enjoy my left overs until I was back at school and left to my own devices to find or make food. A few moments of rich indulgence amidst a semester laden with bland and meager meals is always cherished.

Antipasto appetizer

My phenomenal left over pizza toasted
up and ready to be devoured

Just look at that thick slice of fig. It adds just a hint of
sweetness and an incredible burst of flavor




No comments:

Post a Comment