Friday, August 10, 2012

Crazy Dream

Unfortunately, dreams are very difficult to record and remember accurately as time passes. And no matter how I describe it, no one will picture exactly what I see in my sleep. Last night I had one of those crazy three part dreams. The three parts don't really relate, and I'm not really sure how I got from one part to the next, but it was pretty wild.

In the first part of the dream, I was in a tree. It was an extremely old, very tall tree. There was a platform perched among the branches near the top. I was sharing this platform with three friends, whose faces were extremely clear in the dream. We were all laying down trying to sleep, and clinging to each other, trying not to fall off. If one of us did fall, it would mean certain death. At one point I shifted my weight which caused my legs to slide off the side, and left me dangling off the edge. Normally this is the part of the dream where I would jolt awake from the sudden sensation of falling, but for some reason I wasn't scared this time. I must have had crazy upper body strength because I easily hoisted myself back up.

In the next segment of the dream, I was at a beach on Lake Ontario. It was definitely this lake, no question. Except this time, the water was more disgusting and contaminated than ever before. It had the color and muddy clarity of black coffee, and was absolutely littered with debris. Not only this, but all types of wildlife (squirrels, seagulls, fish...) and some household pets (cats and dogs) were laying lifeless on the beach. They had all fallen victim to the toxic waters. An omen of things to come if the water quality does not soon improve?

In the third part of the my dream, I was at another body of water, an ocean of some sort. I was in a lakeside hotel with a group of friends, and I can only remember one of the friends distinctly. She was also with me on the platform in the very tall tree. The hotel was so close to the lake, that it was a matter of foot steps to the beach. This water was much cleaner, but it was turbulent. The surf was absolutely packed with swimmers and beach goers. The water continued to get choppier. And then a tsunami formed, but it was not headed towards our lake house. It was travelling sideways, parallel to the beach. Two more tsunamis like this rolled across the water, just a few minutes apart. We hoped and prayed that another one didn't aim right for the shore. After the third tsunami, I noticed that a few small dogs had run up to the sliding glass door of our room, waiting to get let in. They definitely didn't live here, but they must have been terrified so I let them in. They were all similar in size, and looked like pomeranian puppies with that short, dense hair. There was even an all gray one that was particularly striking. A few more dogs made their way to the back door, and I was about to let them in when I looked up and saw a terrible site. A fourth wave was heading right for us. I quickly slid open the door, dropped to my knees and shoved in the remaining dogs before slamming the door shut and locking it, as if that would save us. But somehow, as the wave inched closer, it seemed to shrink down, and by the time it hit, a few inches of water merely seeped through the bottom of the door, with no horrible impact.

When the water receded, I noticed that a few new creatures had joined our presence. Lying helpless on the floor, they were smaller, slimy, with a dingy gray coloring. They were newborn elephants. Yes I know that real newborn elephants are much larger, but these dream baby elephants were palm sized. They must have gotten swept in with the last wave, and had managed not to drown. Afraid that someone would see them and sell these marvelous minis for profit, I put them in a shoebox with some soft bits of cloth and closed the lid.

And then I woke up. Crazy, how little sense any of it made. Just thought I'd share.

No comments:

Post a Comment