Sunday, July 29, 2012

Busy Beach

When my grandma and I want to get out of the house and do something fun, the beach is always our first idea. After all, it is my grandma's favorite place in the whole wide world. Today was a typical, warm July day at Durand, and the beach hosted the regular flurry of summer activity.

We sometimes go for walks in the surf, taking in all the sights and sounds along our stroll. We were on such a stroll today, walking west when we noticed a large group of people gathered farther down the shore. We could tell that they were dressed up, and thought perhaps a wedding party was being photographed. As we got closer, we realized that this group of people was actually about two hundred heads strong. Their attention seemed to be focused out on the water, where a group of adults was standing chest deep in the lake, fully clothed in white garments. It appeared that this was some sort of mass baptism. Although we obviously weren't invited, this was still a public beach, so my grandma and I made no moves to turn around. We kept walking right past the onlookers, wearing only our bathing suits.


A few minutes later, we chuckled  as we watched an older, deeply tan gentleman scrubbing his hair, covered in suds, and rinsing off in the lake water. Maybe he was trying to save money on his water bill.


Not long after that, we happened upon a group of individuals all suited up in karate uniforms, performing some sort of routine. We stopped to watch, as they yelled and stepped into different poses in unison. Only a moment after we'd stopped, the group disbanded and the younger members ran down towards the water to get their feet wet. We continued walking until the public beach ended and became private property. Even then we continued a bit further along a private beach to catch a glimpse of an extravagant waterfront property. We are such rebels.


We then turned around to make the voyage back across the beach. Having walked for a half hour before turning around. Both of us would certainly be a shade darker when we made it back to our towels. I started scanning the sand for beach glass since my sister loves to collect it. That's when I noticed a Monarch butterfly resting delicately on the sand. I thought maybe it was injured since it willingly climbed onto my finger and didn't attempt an escape. Not sure what to do with the little guy, I just held it and kept on walking. Twenty minutes later when we finally made it back to our beach blanket, I had just enough time to snap a photo of the butterfly before it flittered off into the breeze. I guess he just likes people.


I am nearly finished describing all of the things my grandma and I saw during our beach day, but I have one last thing to tell. As the two of us were lying on our blanket, gazing off into the small waves, we watched as a woman and her dog walked past. The woman walked along like any other two legged human, but the dog had more of a bounce to his step, because he only had three legs. We both gasped a little as our hearts sank for this poor animal, and then we watched him run.


He flew!

He jumped into the water and played fetch like any other happy dog. It could be that he was born with only three legs and he never even noticed. It was an amazing sight to behold.

With all of the interesting things my grandma and I got to see today, we realized we have way more options for possible beach activities. It is clearly not just for swimming and sun bathing, which is all we have used it for. Until now.
Butterfly friend

The miraculous three legged canine

No comments:

Post a Comment