Monday, July 30, 2012

Toaster Trash

Biking around my neighborhood today, I noticed a lone toaster sitting at the end of someone's driveway, ready to be picked up by anyone lacking a way to make toast. As a college student looking to furnish an apartment for the year, I pondered the possibility of picking up that toaster. I began to wonder if it was a working toaster, or if it had been tossed away after unrepairable malfunctions. I wondered how strange it would be if I went up to the residence to inquire about the discarded appliance. I also wondered how many people pass by curb items and try to talk to the previous owners to inquire about the item before deciding whether or not to take them.

Leaving an item by the curb is like a no questions asked method of getting rid of something you no longer want. If you want it, you can have it, but you take it as is. Is it out of line to want to know more about an item that you get for free?

After all the wondering I did, I left the toaster where I found it. I don't think I'll take my chances just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment