Monday, July 30, 2012

Missing Maple

At an early dinner with my grandma and papa, my papa glared at my plate of strawberry french toast, something obviously weighing heavily on his mind.

He says, "You know, they don't have real maple syrup anymore at these restaurants."

I knew exactly how he felt.

My family has grown up spoiled, always keeping pure maple syrup stashed in the house. It has such a wonderful sweetness and texture that can not be replicated by all those imitation syrups out there.

I jokingly told him he should bring his own syrup next time he eats out, but then I got to thinking. How improper would it be to bring my own maple syrup to a restaurant? I'd still have to order whatever dish I planned on pouring it over so it's not like the restaurant would lose money. If anything they would be saving money since I wouldn't be using their crappy imitation syrup.

If I were bringing my own alcohol to a bar that would be one thing because I would be robbing the bar of any possible profit. But there aren't any diners I have ever been to that make all the money on their imitation syrup consumption.

And for my final argument I say this: Buddy the Elf always carries a stash of syrup with him. If a Christmas elf can do it, why can't I?

This is not real maple syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment