Saturday, July 28, 2012

Who's Excited

I don't watch a lot of TV, especially in the summer. I prefer to fill my days with outdoor activities and spending time with friends. There are few occasions when I can plant myself in front of the boob tube for hours on end with no feelings of guilt. The Olympics are one of those few exceptions. The excitement, the anticipation, and the incredible talent make it difficult to tear my eyes from the screen, even for sports that I know little about or never cared about in gym class.

You hear names you've never heard before, and root for people that you have no personal connection with, other than they are from your country. The Olympics bring a sense of not only national pride, but a sense of global unity as athletes from all corners of the world compete for the same titles and the same medals. Where religion and culture differences matter less, and muscle power and determination make the difference between winning gold and going home.

If you aren't watching the Olympics this summer, what the hell are you watching?

No comments:

Post a Comment