Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Hundred Dollar Delusion

I didn't do it this year. I couldn't manage to limit my spending to one-hundred dollars total for gifts for everyone on my list. It didn't help that I accomplished little Christmas shopping until coming home for winter break. I had less than two weeks to locate satisfactory gifts for all of my friends and family. A combination of thrifty shopping and home crafting helped limit my spending, but next year I'm going to work even harder to see if I can amass an array of lovely gift options without exceeding the hundred dollar mark.

This is coming from my own twisted, black heart, but I believe gift giving should remain as a small token of appreciation, symbolizing some connection with the receiver of the gift. It is all to easy to pick an item from an online wishlist and ship it off, never even inspecting the gift in person. When this tactic is employed, the gift giver can claim no credit or creativity for choosing the gift, only footing the bill. If you don't know a person well enough to think of something thoughtful, then why give a gift at all? For me, a clever gift could cost ten dollars or ten cents (especially a homemade card).

There are two keys to selecting a good gift. The first important consideration is to keep an open mind. There have been numerous occasions when I have thought of the perfect gift. I could picture it clearly in my head, and could not rest until this gift was located. Having such a narrow focus can make it extremely challenging to find exactly what you're looking for. The other key is to give it time. Waiting until the last minute to think of what to give someone is an instant stress-inducer.

When you have an open mind and you have the time to consider multiple options, you don't have to settle for one of the first, and probably more expensive items you come across. The more time you reserve for leisurely holiday shopping, the more fruitful your experience will be. Some may claim not to have enough time for this gift giving method, but why not keep an open mind all year round? If I come across an item that would make a good gift for someone, I get smart and buy it, even if Christmas is six months or even a year away. If these gift giving methods are employed by the whole family, it can transform the holiday into a fun challenge as family members seek out the most clever and thrifty gift ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment