Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Treat Everyday Like Christmas

For me, one of the worst parts about Christmas is the evening of the 25th, when I must come to terms with the fact that Christmas is almost over and won't come around for another 365 days. After weeks of cheerful greetings, twinkling lights and general merrymaking, the thought of all of that rapidly disappearing is slightly depressing. As Elvis wistfully croons in one of his festive ballads, "Why can't everyday be like Christmas?" I think this is a very valid question to be asking. We would simply replace saying, "Merry Christmas!" with "How do you do?" or "Good afternoon!" It's really just being polite. Many people seem to employ a higher level of politeness around the holidays. I've said "Merry Christmas"to more strangers than I would regularly speak to. But why? It's that magical feeling of holiday spirit that courses through our veins around this time of year.

Can't we all just be a little more friendly all the time? To me, this jolly outlook is optimistic, but not beyond reason. People are in high spirits around the holidays, and when someone acknowledges my presence, even just to say "Merry Christmas," it brightens my day. As the Code of Elves emphasizes, "Treat everyday lik Christmas." I think there is some genuine value to that outlook.

[http://ih2.redbubble.net/image.10872104.1248/sticker,375x360.png]

No comments:

Post a Comment