Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sunk Canoe

As a Christmas gift for myself, I found a paper boat making kit that for some reason I could not live without. I was particularly enamored with the kit because it included a waterproofing stick, so I could play with my paper boats after making them. My mom stowed the kit away until Christmas, and presented it to me as a stocking stuffer. I have been wanting to learn how to craft my own origami creations, although the art has always been a little intimidating to me. My hope was this kit would lend itself well to a person who likes to craft but generally sucks at crafting. As it turns out, I had trouble following even the most basic instructions. My first attempt at constructing a paper canoe failed miserably.

After carefully reading through the instructions and reviewing the types of folds presented in the beginning of the book, I began to construct the canoe. Everything seemed to be going well. Then, somewhere in the middle, the instructions informed me to cut four specified areas of my little canoe. Huh? I thought there was no cutting involved in origami. Nowhere in this instruction manual does it say that scissors may be used. I frantically flipped to the page describing the different types of folds. I thought perhaps there was some type of "cut fold" that I had overlooked. After failing to uncover such a fold I resorted to the only thing I could think to do. I reluctantly made the tiny incisions into my precious little canoe. Trying to hold the paper as steadily as I could, my heart thumped louder and louder as I focused on cutting accurately.

Once the cuts were made, I continued following the instructions. It didn't take long for me to realize I had screwed up. Royally. My poor little canoe had jagged pieces jutting out where no jagged pieces should have been protruding. It was a disappointing first attempt at trying to be crafty. I was too ashamed to even test my canoe in the water.

Paper I was instructed to use and
the magical waterproofing stick










They don't look too similar

No comments:

Post a Comment