Friday, December 14, 2012

Writing to My Own Beat

I turned in my last final paper early this morning. I worked late into the evening last night, perfecting my work. I cannot work with distracting background noise. I can't even listen to music with lyrics because it throws me off. Once in a while I'll be typing along and mid-sentence my thoughts will trail off and pick back up with the lyrics of the current tune. This dangerous habit must be avoided at all costs. Elvis, I love you man, but you gotta stay out of my research!

This semester I have become quite fond of the Cool Jazz online music station. I came to realize I have a particular fondness for the soothing sounds of the corpulent accordion, which mentally transports me to a small cafe in a posh corner of the grand city of Paris, France. I even narrowed my music preference down to the oddly specific music station titled, Dan Newton's Cafe Accordion Orchestra. This station favors the musical stylings of Django Reinhardt, a prominent gypsy jazz guitarist of the early twentieth century. One of his better known songs, Swing 42, has been stuck in my head for the past three days.

When a live version of a song starts playing, there is typically applause recorded on the track as well. Listening to a live track while sitting at my desk, hard at work, I sometimes imagine the crowd is cheering for me, thoroughly impressed with the new sentence I just formed on the page. It's more of a silly thought than anything else, but it still perks me up as I silently laugh to myself. In instances such as this, I can admit to myself how silly and weird I am, and then I just smile even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment