Sunday, December 30, 2012

Moonlight Snowshoe Adventure

It's healthy to be a little daring every now and then. When I'm feeling particularly devilish, I can often be found exploring some place I am probably not supposed to be. Last night for example, I was dying to break in my snowshoes for the season. For some reason I love getting exercise in the evening, even though many evils lurk in the cover of darkness. In case I encountered any figures of authority questioning why I was disobeying park regulations, I had mentally compiled a list of reasons why I was illegally traversing through a snow capped park after hours:

1) It wouldn't be a moonlight snowshoe hike unless it was night time (although the moon made one quick appearance in the purple, overcast sky during my voyage)

2) If anyone tried to run me down through the deep snow, I could easily outrun any non-snowshoed individual

3) No sort of riff raff would bother coming to a park with over a foot of snow to trudge through

4) With my surroundings completely covered in a layer of white, I would see someone coming long before they could get close enough to ambush me

With these compelling explanations tucked away in my mind, I felt confident I could get myself out of a sticky run in with a cop. I will say that when the ground is covered in the same monochromatic, white color, my depth perception is slightly thrown off. It was a bit tricky determining the depth of some of the depressions I came across. This was honestly the biggest danger I confronted during my trek. One of the most beautiful sights I beheld in the park is a sight anyone can take in after a fresh snowfall. The way the trees hold the snow, as if they have just been dusted with a sweet layer of powdered sugar, is so serenely beautiful. I had to stop to take some terrible photos on my phone that could never do the real life version any sort of justice.

I swear the moon magically
appeared just for this photo

The snow was blowing right at me. See
how pretty that barely visible tree looks?

The wonderful snowshoes

No comments:

Post a Comment