Saturday, December 8, 2012

Squid Brain

Lately, my mind seems to be occupied with thoughts related to killer squid and octopus species. Last night for example, I dreamt that a man-eating octopus was terrorizing a few unlucky students on campus who mistakenly walked within reach of its slimy, muscular arms. I vividly remember sitting in a computer lab with my Writing for Environmental Professionals class. Usually when other people are in my dreams, their faces are nondescript, flesh toned blobs. This time, I could clearly recognize my actual professor for this class, along with several of my student peers.

The building housing this computer lab was very different from any building on my actual school campus. It was similar to a skyscraper, although the computer lab was only a few floors up from ground level. The room was rectangular in shape, with a large window facing out onto the ocean. The beach backed up right to the edge of the building. My peers and I had all flocked to the large window to investigate the blood curdling sounds of a person's screams. We were horrified when we peered down at the beach to glimpse a wriggling purple blob of tentacles and human appendages as the octopus devoured it's human victim.

It is curious that it should be a purple octopus in my dream, because it is the exact tattoo soon to be emblazoned on my sister's upper arm. It's an absolutely gorgeous piece of artwork, though much larger than I would ever consider for myself. I also recently watched the first installment of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring. There is a particularly frightening scene taking place next to a lake outside the mines of Moria. It is in this lake that the Watcher in the Water lurks, waiting to take on any foes that cross its path. This scene always gets my spine shivering.

The octopus is a very admirable, highly intelligent creature. I am relieved that as far as we know, human flesh is not a part of any octopod diet. Apparently this is an irrational fear I have.

Artist's rendering of the scene from my dream

My sister's scary arm. It reminds me of my
nightmare now. Will it be more or less scary
when the purple is colored in?
[Photo courtesy of Dylan Tate]

Artist's illustration of the Watcher in the Water
[http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media
/2008/11/john_howe_-_watcher_in_the_water-sms-1108.jpg]

No comments:

Post a Comment