Friday, December 14, 2012

Veggie Deficiency

Since returning to school after Thanksgiving, I have not gone grocery shopping once. This abstention from groceries was a combination between being broke, challenging my inner culinary genius, and not wanting to have a bunch of food to bring back home over winter break. That bean soup that I made not too long ago lasted me for a whole week. Not only is it a filling dish, but combined with rice, this meal constitutes a complete protein, so I'm still getting all of my essential amino acids.

While I've made due with what's in the cupboards, the refrigerator is devoid of anything green or healthy. The closest I could get was a jar of organic salsa that I have been rationing by the spoonful. It mixes well with rice and tastes like a deconstructed (slightly lame) burrito. The salsa even spices up an ordinary can of tuna, which sounds strange, but by golly it is tasty! I used it in place of lemon juice to give the tuna a nice tanginess and unique flavor.

 Last night a very dear friend came over and we cooked a tasty dinner as a way of saying goodbye before he heads off to Australia next semester. We planned to make stir-fry and I supplied the rice because it was one of the few ingredients I had on hand. He brought over a bag of frozen veggies and the eggs. After taking the first hungry bite, the satisfying crunch of carrots and broccoli had never been so delightful. After weeks surviving on a Christmas cookie based diet, a mouthful of veggies was the ultimate treat. Am I proud of the fact that I have been eating like a savage these past few weeks? Not really. But what's going to be left in the cupboards when I leave? Not much, and I'm pretty proud of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment